Hi Sarah: I'm so glad that Kevin and Cathy gave you good ideas for your teaching. I knew that they would be able to give you things about chemistry and biology that I couldn't.
Chemistry: it will be good to get the chemistry AQ. But in the meantime if you are teach chemistry in the grade 9 and 10 science units, you can talk to your school chemistry teacher about safety, how to prepare solutions, etc. If safety is your first concern, you will be okay.
Biology: it sounds like you have some good ideas here. I always encourage you to ask your students about topics they're interested in; and you can suggest ones like cloning, cancer, and GMOs. But students will be more engaged if they have choice. You can do things like have a town hall or debate about these issues, and that helps to address the STSE part of the curriculum.
I'll be interested to hear if you do get to teach magnetism in your prac, and what kinds of experiments/activities you do.
Next prac: I would be nervous too about teaching grade 10 biology, so that's a natural reaction. Your AT will have ideas for that, and you can talk to other science teachers in your school. Cathy would be happy to talk to you as well. As you say, you will prepare some good lessons and resources for your future teaching. Regarding the Grade 12s, don't put too much pressure on you. Yes, they are going to university, but you're only teaching them for a while-- it will be fine. Your AT can again help you, and they'll be taking over. So try some things and see how they work. And you'll find Grade 12 students are generally quite forgiving and patient-- I really enjoy supplying in grade 12 classes (which I know is not the same thing, but I get a sense of how these students think and work-- you won't have many discipline issues, and I'm sure you'll enjoy working with them). As you say, with time and experience, you won't feel as nervous, and I bet it'll go well. Please let me know! And if you would like some ideas, please don't hesitate to send me an email.
Sarah, it's been a real pleasure "talking with you" this fall, and I have really enjoyed your blogs. I wish you all the best in your next prac and after christmas.
Terry
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.