Sunday, 26 January 2014

Enjoying classes, learning a lot!

Hi Sarah!

I don't think everyone can say they are happy with all their classes, so I'm very pleased to hear that you are!

I applaud your concerns about students having access to smart phones and to computers at home. It's really important to find out what students have and have access to before assuming they all have access.  I'm sure we can both imagine how students who don't have one or both feel in comparison to almost all the other students.

You expressed the wish that you can "use some of the theories and practice some of the activities that you learned." That's a common way of putting it. I'd like to try to add a thought, though it may not make any sense at this stage...  What you do during your practicum with the ideas and activities you hear about in classes is only the first step in the process of learning to teach. Actually attempting activities and approaches once, and then more than once, is the critical part of the learning process, and that may include helping the students understand why you are trying something new and helping them understand how it may help them learn. Hearing is only the first step, just as it is only the first step for students.

See you Monday afternoon!
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.